Monday, October 19, 2015

Guest Designing for Top Dog Dies!

I have a special post to share today.  I am guest designing for Top Dog Dies.  For my first card, I started with a piece of watercolor paper.  I did the smooshing technique using Ranger Distress Inks in Fired Brick, Dried Marigold, and Peeled Paint.

I used my heat gun in between each color.   Next, I added my die cuts from Top Dog Dies.  I die cut Vintage Alphabet die twice in black and stacked together the letters for some added depth and dimension to the "hello" sentiment.

 I added some loose threading behind and a sentiment below.  I finished with a heart die cut from Mr.and Mrs. Banner die set in white card stock and sponged with more of the Rangers Fired Brick ink.  I love the blend of these colors with the pop of the black letters in this fabulous font.  The perfect size letters, too!

For my next project, I used the Mr.and Mrs. Banner die set.  I wanted to create a wedding card that was elegant and full of love.  I started with some white linen paper.  I used the third die in this set to die cut two sets of graduated red hearts.  I glued the hearts together for thicker more dimensional hearts.   

I then used the the negative image as a stencil to line the hearts up and glue to the card.  To add a little pizzazz, I used glossy accents on all of the hearts.  They look really shiny and dimensional. I love the graduated effect as well.

I layered a gold metallic foil card stock behind the linen paper.  For the sentiment portion, I knew I wanted to bring in more of the gold metallic.  I die cut the Mr. and Mrs. banner three times.

I stacked three together, but instead of using all three in the metallic gold, I layered.  The bottom layer is white, middle layer kraft, and top layer gold.  This allows for a smooth transition from the white linen, but I do not have to use all my gold foil card stock to get the dimension I wanted.

For my last project, I am used the Make a Banner die set.  I started with watercolor paper.  I spritzed the paper first then brushed on different water color paints.  I used medium blue, water blue, and lime green shades.  I set it aside and let it dry completely.

Once it was dried,  I used the smallest of the dies in the Make a Banner die set and started die cutting the water color panel until I had twelve pierced squares cut out.  I added foam tape to the back of each.  I arranged my squares onto a white piece of card stock and layered with a pop of green to the white card base.

For the focal image, I used the largest of the dies from the Make a Banner die set and threaded a piece of black and white twine through it and glued to the back.  I added a sentiment in black ink.  I used foam tape with some loose threading behind to layer on the card.  I added an additional white embossed scissor cut sentiment to the front with more foam tape.  I finished the card with a twine bow and a few black sequins.

As always thanks so much for stopping by!



  1. three wonderful cards - love love the first one - the smooshed background is great!

  2. Fabulous cards, Betty. The stacking of the letters to create added dimension is a tip I will have to keep in mind. elizabeth xx

  3. Congrats on the guest DT spot. I love your cards and especially the ink smooshing on the first one.

  4. Absolutely gorgeous cards! Love them all!

  5. Three great cards. Love the background on the first one. Congrats on the guest DT spot.

  6. What a wonderful trio of fabulous cards. I love them all and how exciting to be a guest designer for Top Dog!

  7. Adore the BG on the first one!! Gorgeous!! Great banners on the second and wonderful use of the tiles/sketch on last one.

  8. Hi Betty! I stopped in to see your MCV card and nearly gasped when I saw your gorgeous water-colored background here ... seriously spectacular!
    =] Michele


Thanks so much!

© The Things I Do With Paper. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.