Sunday, February 16, 2020

Mom's Valentine Card!



Happy Sunday!  I have a very special card to share today!  



I am sharing my Mom's Valentine card.  It is very special to me for many reasons.  First, I was asked by Susan Opel to create cards for the Winter Issue of Scrapbook and Card Magazine.  My assignment was to create cards for a special Valentine section in the magazine.


You can still get your issue here!

One of the cards I was assigned was a "MOM" Valentine.  This card was published in the Winter Issue.  The card is also very special to me because my mom had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease.  Creating this card was very therapeutic and very emotional.  My mom came to live with us in September of 2019.  The degeneration of this disease has happened so very quickly.


I gave mom her card.  She read the card, but I am certain she has no idea what it means. She lives in the moment. She was very excited about getting her picture made, though.  She has good days and bad days.  She really does not know me any longer.  Sometimes I am the lady that works at the "facility" - sometimes I am her mom - her sister - she just does not "know" any longer.  It is really HARD!  This disease is the horrible!  I try to find joy in the mundane.  The little moments.  While mom may not know who I am, she will always be my MOM!  


Thanks for letting me share!  Now...about the card...I used ITP/PTI pure poppy card stock and select white card stock.  I used Pinkfresh Studio Adore Alphabet die.  I used Hero Arts Love set with die combo, and I used Simon Says Stamps Look For the Rainbow Coordinating  stamp and die set.



I die cut and stacked three of the MOM letters for thickness and dimension.  I stamped, heat embossed, and die cut the flowers and created a frame around the MOM letters using foam tape.  I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment and tucked in below.  


I added wink of stella to all of the leaves and flowers for some added shine.  I popped this panel up the stitched frame die to a top folding pure poppy card stock base. I finished the card with a few clear sequins.

Here is a list of many of the products I generally
use every time I make a card.


As always thanks so much for stopping by!



4 comments

  1. Beautiful card, Betty! Sending hugs to you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really special and lovely card. I am so sorry to hear about your Mum, it is such a cruel condition, may God Bless you both ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and beautiful photo of your mom with the card. My friend's husband has Alzheimer's and it is a dreadful disease. So sorry you are going through it with your mom, but like you said she will always be your mom, even if she doesn't remember you. Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! Such a stunning card. Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much!

© The Things I Do With Paper. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.